Thursday, January 28, 2010

Package Delivery

So I thought I had it figured out. I had put Bennie down for his afternoon nap, I had poured myself a cup of coffee, 10 tables up and running, feeling good, playing well, everything was the way it should be. I wasn't worried about Ben waking up because even if he did, it's not like he'll be in any trouble if I don't rush in to him immediately; I could easily afford a few minutes of waiting for the blinds to come around on all tables.

What I hadn't figured in was the fact that a delivery guy rang the doorbell while I was playing said 10 tables. What do I do then? Well, fold all the trash hands (including not set-mining 33 OTB) and sit out on all tables where I'm not involved in a hand is the first easy step. But then there was this hand:

$1/$2 No Limit Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
Poker Tools by Stoxpoker - Hand Details
Replay This Hand With Audio
SB: $257.80 (128.9 bb)
BB: $388.85 (194.4 bb)
Hero (CO): $219.23 (109.6 bb)
MP: $484.21 (242.1 bb)
BTN: $345.55 (172.8 bb)
UTG: $204.30 (102.2 bb)
Pre-Flop: Hero is CO with Q of hearts A of diamonds
UTG raises to $6, MP raises to $10, Hero calls $10, 3 folds, UTG calls $4

Flop: ($33) 9 of clubs K of spades A of clubs (3 players)

Here is where the doorbell rang (reasoning behind not "4-betting" AQ preflop to isolate the bad 3-bettor can be given on request, for now just assume it was the right play)


UTG checks, MP bets $31.35,


Okay, what the hell do I do now? Both UTG and MP have taken their sweet time with their decisions and now the guy at the door rings the bell again. Goddammit! Okay, I'll minraise. That should confuse them enough to give me a couple of extra seconds to run down and take care of the package.

Hero raises to $62.70, UTG folds, MP calls $31.35

Turn: ($158.40) 9 of diamonds (2 players)
MP checks,


Here I come rushing and panting up the stairs again, and enter the workroom just in time to see that I have three seconds left in the timebank. Bet or check? With no time to ponder what the action was, ranges etc, I just opt to check before my hand gets automucked.

Hero checks

River: ($158.40) 5 of spades (2 players)
MP checks,


Uh, okay. My kicker is no longer in play. Can I valuebet? What calls? Can he have a king? Will he call a small bet with a king? Let's see.

Hero bets $50

Results: Package was received, pot won and Bennie had woken up from the doorbell.

6 comments:

-Sean said...

Epic Win FP. Lol, I've been in that boat before multi-tabling tournaments and having to run to the bathroom because I simply couldn't hold it anymore. Unfortunately, one time I received aces on 3 of the 5 SnG's I was playing while there and timing out was horrible.

Anonymous said...

Haha talk about multi tasking but if you dont mind this question, you would call a utg raise and re-raise with AQoff?

Why not fold? Im a micro stakes player and Im sure theres a rational for your play I dont uderstand but conventional wisdom right now for me is that AQo in that spot is a sure fold?

Thanks and I hope everything is good!

RAFC24

Unknown said...

The UTG raise was a reg with a decently wide range, and at this point I'm surely ahead of him, on average. The "re-raise" was a minraise, and didn't mean much given who made the raise. If he had 3-bet to, say, $22 or something like that, I'm not sure how I would have proceeded. But a 5bb 3bet, I'll play against this guy. My range can be a lot wider here, too, including all pocket pairs, most suited connectors, suited broadways, etc. I'm a little worried that UTG will reraise when the action is back on him, but I don't think he'll do it so often that I can't profitably flat with AQo here.

Benny said...

Now that's multi-tasking!

10 hands is too much for me anyway - have a limit of about 6, and even then i tend to get distracted.

Well done. As above, epic stuff!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your answer!

RAFC24

Laz said...

Haha all I can say is nothing makes me feel like a worse father than leving my baby crying whilst I finish a hand!